I have been reading books on and off since the college days. I remember starting by reading fiction books then slowly changing gear to non fiction etc. The motivation for putting a formal plan of reading a certain number of books in 2020 happened via an article about How I read 52 books in 2019…from my college senior Ritesh Chopra I thought okay i can not do 52 but can start with reading a book every month. So the target was set to read 12 books in 2020, i know for some it being a too small target but for me it was a decent one. The books can be fiction, non fiction, biography..any category.
How did I begin?
I started the year 2020 by first purchasing a few paperback books and then eventually shifting to Kindle. The biggest advantage of an ebook reader like Kindle is you can carry so many books plus you get them immediately the moment you purchase them you don’t have to wait for delivery.
I was making decent progress but then COVID-19 hit the world. Lockdown happened and we all had to take care of the household and kids etc. meaning no time to read.
That is where one of the other best pieces of advice in the article helped me. It was about listening to the books, that is where Audible comes into the picture. So i thought while doing household chores😜 i can listen to the books. That is where this habit of listening to books developed plus audible offering free trial months pushed it in the right direction.
Some Tips in developing this habit of reading and listening
- If you are starting reading, start with a book with fewer pages. This will keep you hooked and then you can read any.
- Make sure you read/listen to at least a paragraph before going to sleep at night. It will help you in developing this habit.
- You can listen to books while going out for walks or travelling. While running or cycling it does not work for me as i m more keen to listen to some Punjabi music😀 but you can try.
- Talk to people around you who read and get some recommended books
- Keep your eyes and ears open, you will get many book recommendations. Read the reviews, story line and then see if it interests you or not.
- Sometimes you will start a book but you may not like which is okay, switch to another book and come back later. It’s perfectly fine that sone books don’t click when you start reading.
- I installed the goodreads app to track my target for 2020 and it actually worked. Actually got many good recommendations to read from the app. So go ahead install any of your choice.
Enough of the tips let’s look at what i think are the top 5 must read for all books. You might like them or not it all depends on what kind of books you like😀 I have seen my interest in books has shifted from fiction to Self Improvement and Spirituality. It keeps evolving😀
Top 5 must read/listen books from my experience
These five books( of course others also) have significantly helped me in developing this habit of waking up early in the morning, practising empathy, doing away with irritating habits and countless many other benefits. Reading/Listening to books have countless benefits and no harmful effects🤣
When you see things from a higher perspective, you can see that seemingly unrelated things are actually related.
Why is it that when a baby is born we often refer to him or her as ‘the miracle of life’ but then we go on to accept mediocrity for our own lives. When did we lose sight of the Miracle that WE are living?
Anyone can find the dirt in someone. Be the one that finds the gold.
You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.
Do you know that even when you look at a tree and say, `That is an oak tree', or `that is a banyan tree', the naming of the tree, which is botanical knowledge, has so conditioned your mind that the word comes between you and actually seeing the tree? To come in contact with the tree you have to put your hand on it and the word will not help you to touch it.
Complete List of Books Read in 2020 can be found here
So what is the target for 2021 ?
I have this wishlist of doing 52 Books a year but i still feel it will take sometime. Important is to keep trying. So keeping in mind the same I think 24 is achievable. So let’s see how it goes😀
What are your thoughts or targets for 2021?